• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

anyone experienced overtraining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portillo

Bluelighter
Im wondering if its possible to experience overtraining without obvious symptons?

Also, is it possible to workout the upper body on 3 consecutive days (monday tuesday wednesday), and then rest for the rest of the week, and still overtrain? Because ppl say that you should never train upper body on consecutive days but i assume i would still get enough rest from thursday to sunday.

You can do that, but I wouldn't recommend making it part of your training plan. Overtraining is exceeding your body's ability to recover over a long period of time and the symptoms are very obvious. Just being tired the next time you train isn't overtraining, though it's often mistaken for being so. Real overtraining will take you one to two months to recover from and will be noticeable by a significant reduction in work capacity.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to do upper body so much. If you want to super fatigue the muscles and you're not new to training, you can do a three day split (work it monday and wednesday) and still be a bit fatigued on wednesday considering that full recovery takes three to four days.

Why the interest in working your upper body three days in a row? Is there a reason that you don't want to work your lower body?

Its really hard to actually overtrain. Your body has a very high regenerative capacity. I've done it but only after weight training 4+ hours a day for a week+ in a row on top of my usual workout routine. I simply pushed myself over the edge. For me overtraining symptoms are immediate fast onset flu like symptoms and terrible weakness. You can work the same muscle group a few days in a row without causing overtraining. Overtraining doesn't have to do with a specific body part being over exerted it has to do with your entire body being pushed past its regenerative ability.

Oh and I've also found that overtraining is usually caused by a lack of either sleep or calories. You can push yourself incredibly hard as long as you eat 4-5,000+ cals a day and get 8-10 hours of quality sleep. If you cut back on either though your body will go into overtraining mode really fast.

My schedule allows for me to workout monday to wednesday. I do lower body, but i usually focus on upper body. For lower body i usually just do a few sets of squats, deadlifts and calf raises. I dont dedicate an entire session for lower body, at this stage. I know its important and all.

The times I had overtraining symptoms (simular to the flu) I was laid up for two and a half weeks just feeling like shit. You know how the flu is.

Status
Not open for further replies.